Sunday, March 8, 2015

One Year Runniversary

by Stacy Allen


My name is Stacy Allen. I am a runner. You may know me as the DRC Selfie Queen. Why selfies? Because they’re fun! Who doesn’t love a selfie?! Check out my Instagram account for more fun pics (follow me! @runner_mom_of3). Selfies have also been a great way to log my runs, have fun with it, and see for myself how much I’ve changed.
"Selfie, just cause I know you love them!"

My running story began when I found myself newly single raising three children. A year ago, I left an abusive relationship/marriage and found myself desperate to find meaning and confidence. I really didn't consider running as something I’d ever do, but I needed to make big changes in my life and I had a few "runner" friends on Facebook who I had always admired for their athletic abilities. I figured I'd give it a shot!


My first recorded run was on the high school track on March 27, 2014. I ran 1.28 miles at a 14.18 /mile pace. Wow! I felt amazing, I did it! I got out and did something for myself, a big step toward healing. No one could take this from me, it was mine alone. Looking back now, it was the beginning of more healing and change in my life than I could’ve imagined. By the end of April, just one month later, I had run a half mile at a 9'20 pace. That was such and improvement for me. In May, I was introduced to DRC through David Beaty. I really enjoyed all of the positivity and encouragement everyone received, and all the goofiness that goes on. I felt like a part of the group from my first post, which made it even more awesomesauce!

My first run is at the bottom!
 Being a single working mother of a 14, 12, and 2 year-old is difficult, so getting everything I need done in a day doesn’t always happen. Add a run into this mix, and it can be a real struggle! When I first started running, I would wait until my two year-old was in bed and leave my 14 year-old to keep an eye on her. This meant that I would hit the streets around 10pm, and that’s what I had to do to get it done. These runs were normally two miles, but when Greg joined me, he would encourage me to keep going and we would run three or four.

Over the summer months, I ran as much as possible. Being a single mom doesn’t give me the time I would like for extra things, but running was important, so I stuck with it. On September 7th, I ran my first 10k around the streets of WashMO. I couldn’t have done this without my running partner and biggest believer. Greg has really encouraged me through this journey and believes in me even when I haven’t believed in myself.

In November I had my first DRC group run experience at the “Thaw Your Turkey Trot”. It was my first group run of any kind and it was a wonderful time! I managed to keep just about in the middle of the group the whole run, which was awesome considering I figured I'd be dead last. Once the weather warms up I can't wait to join you all on some more evening runs!

"Absolutely loved everything about this run, even all the hills :)"
"Thaw Your Turkey Trot" with DRC peeps!
Eventually, I got a treadmill and was able to start running on it after Karlee was in bed. I was still tired, but I had made the choice to have running in my life and stuck with it. My mom got me the treadmill to help me get in more miles, which was wonderful of her. I couldn’t help but think, “Yeah right, like I can really put a treadmill to good use!” I gave it a shot, though, and beyond the first few runs sucking, it got me even more addicted to running!

"For all of you hardcore runners who are out there braving it while I'm nice and cozy on my treadmill."
That treadmill helped me get ready for my next race, which was the Hot Chocolate run in St. Louis in December. It was my longest run to date, a 15k, and I was terrified! Greg was kind enough to run the whole thing with me, and we were able to meet some DRC peeps as well! Around mile 6, I started doubting whether or not I could finishing. Pushing through to the end, while dealing with some knee pain and stomach cramps, was incredible—I finished! I wasn’t fast, but I finished. I was so grateful to Greg who stayed with me the entire time, that was wonderful because I know he could have run it faster on his own. Crossing the finish line was beautiful- not to mention there was chocolate waiting at the end!

Greg and I earned those awesome medals!
I continue to use my treadmill for training, and have worked up to running not one, but TWO, half marathons on it! Thanks to a very generous gift, I will be running my first half marathon race in May at the River Town Run. I am again terrified but very excited to be part of such an amazing group of people. Runners are a whole different breed, I love being a part of the crazy and I am addicted to the run. This is my life now, no one to hold me back, only love and support. My passion has spread to my little Karlee, who wants to do what her momma does. When the weather is nice, she runs outside in her Minnie Mouse (aka Nike, to her) shoes; when it’s colder, she likes to walk on the treadmill. I am so proud of the changes I have made for myself in my life, and excited to see how it’s changing the lives of my children!

Karlee's first runner girl picture
Want to get to know Stacy better? Check out her Runfie Questions!

What is your favorite running quote? "If you run, you are a runner. It doesn't matter how fast or how far. It doesn't matter if today is your first day or you've been running for twenty years. There is no test to pass, no license to earn, no membership card to get. You just run." - John Bingham. I love this because whenever I doubt myself, this quote is a reminder that I'm good enough as a runner.

What is the "strangest" thing you listen to while running? The goofiest music I listen to is county love songs- they are upbeat and inspiring and but I'm a sappy old lovey-dovey kind of person.

Do you have favorite running shoes? How many pairs of shoes do you have? I have three pairs of running shoes, two are retired but my shoe of choice is Nike.

No comments:

Post a Comment