Sunday, October 25, 2015

MT Madness: Do ALL the Things!

By Stacy Allen

Going to the Mark Twain Endurance Race involved a lot of firsts for me: I earned my trail name, paced my running role model, helped aid tons of runners, and supported my best friend through his biggest run to date. It was a beautiful, memorable day, but it didn’t start off that way.

When Greg signed up for the 50-mile race, I wanted so much to be there for him. After I finally asked him if I could go, he agreed (DUH), but I sort of felt like I had just pushed myself into his race, and I changed my mind. I talked with Meghan about how I was feeling and she encouraged me to go to support Greg and be a part of the DRC AS. This made me feel better about it, and made me feel more like I was needed there, so I was again happy to go! A couple days after I had committed to the AS, Rae messaged me and asked me to pace her for nine miles of her second loop. Hell yes I will! I was so excited and honored to be a part of her big day! I’d get to be a part of her day, help all the other runners, and cheer on my guy!

Early morning, we arrived at MT, and I got to see Greg and the others off before heading to the DRC AS. During this time, I found out Rae wanted to use me for 20 miles so, yep, I agreed. Watching those first few people come through our AS with bloody hands and knees was such an inspiration of just how tough runners are. I was so impressed with Meghan, Stacey, and the other volunteers—they were so enthusiastic and happy to serve these people and care for them! Such a kickass group of people!

Me, Meghan, and Mark (Rae's husband) at the AS.
After a while at the AS, Rae was ready for me. We started out at a nice running pace and then slowed to more walking/hiking. Ugh... I was ready for 20 miles on fresh legs, I just wanted to run! But wait... I reminded myself, Rae has 25 miles on her legs and a pregnant belly. This is her race, I’m here for her! I turned from focusing on the run to focusing on Rae: her conversation, body language, hydration, and general spirits. She was amazing. Just like on pavement runs, she has a fluidity to her form, she looks like she is gliding whether she is running an 8-minute mile or hiking a 13-minute mile. It’s something to be admired.

We were faring well and I felt great. Rae mentioned having some pain in a tendon and it was starting to play head-games with her. From my point of view (booty all day), I couldn’t tell she was hurting, so I just focused on making sure she stopped for her many (many) pee breaks because that’s how I knew she was hydrating.

Around mile 40, Rae had a moment of insanity... WHT am I supposed to do?? She is crying/laughing hysterically, but this seems pretty normal for pushing your pregnant body 40 miles... So I let it happen, until she started to slide down a ravine! I wasn’t going to let that happen!! She regained her composure and we headed out with the DRC AS as our reward for getting through the next five emotional miles. As we got closer, we heard angels from above calling out to Rae (Stacey and Mark were banging drums and yelling!), and I knew that was exactly what she needed to get up that hill and into the arms of our awesome crew, who were happily waiting to care for her and feed her!

This is where I left Rae after 20 miles. Honestly, I wanted to finish that run with her, but I knew she needed to regain her composure and finish this with her hubs, and I needed to be at the finish to watch my love come across that finish line! I made it with about 10 minutes to spare before I saw him come out of the woods and cross that line. He looked so strong and incredible to me in that moment! I know it took so much for him to get through the final ten miles, but he isn’t one ever to give up- he has always been my encouragement and inspiration to be a better running. Running into his arms as he crossed that finish line was the best feeling! I was so, so proud of him!

All that was left to complete my day was to watch my girl come across that line. As darkness fell, I was a little worried, but I had zero doubts that she would run across that finish line, strong and confident. Seeing her come across was badass, no other way to put it! MT was an awesome experience, getting to aid, participate, and cheer; I can’t wait to run my own 50-miler soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment