Sunday, November 2, 2014

Why Trails?

We asked a few DRC runners the question, "Why Trails?"  It was great to read opinions about the importance of trails for decompression, challenge, humility and cross-training.  The one common thread in each, EVERYONE benefits from flirting at least a little with the trails!
Why Trails? Why not? The road is the road. Sure-- it's smooth, it's consistent, that old reliable friend that will always be there for you. But what about that OTHER friend? You know, that one that you always take some "bail money" when you go out with her? Because you just never know what's going to happen? That's the trail. Unpredictable. Maybe you will find a new path. Maybe you will see a deer. Maybe you will fall on your face. Maybe you will get a little bit lost. It probably won't go as planned, but that's kind of the point. Shake it up. When I am "trail running", I let go of mile splits and distance. I see things. I listen to different music, or none at all. I go out with my other friend. The road will always be there for me when I get back.          -Molly Derner

Why trails? I started trail running this past June with a group that was training for the Pikes Peak Marathon. I wasn’t running it, but I figured I could benefit from the group runs. Before that, all of my miles were logged on pavement. I enjoyed running, but I didn't really get hooked until I took it to the trails. I started hiking and backpacking several years ago, but it practically requires a 3 day weekend or more to plan a trip worthy of giving me my fix. Trail running is like a concentrated version of backpacking, only I get to cover more distance in a much shorter amount of time. There is nothing better than being out on the trails navigating the dirt, roots, and rocks. The more technical the trail the better. Just relax and find that mental space where the only thing you think about is your foot placement. To me, nothing is more freeing.          -Denzil Jennings

Why Trails?  There is something about a friendly jaunt on a familiar trail that can cure just about anything.  Regardless of season, we can find peace and comfort in the crunch of leaves, the squish of mud, and the freezing tingle of snow.  The trails are deliciously consistently inconsistent.  Rounding that blind corner, what might we encounter today?  Will it be a newly formed mud pit (aka shoe-eating swamp), two turtles "hugging", a beautiful (and territorial) ten-point buck, or a disguised copperhead sunning himself on the path (SNAKE?! There are NO snakes on MY trails!).  The obstacles on the trails mirror the obstacles in life ("Is that ice?" BAM "$%#@! Yup...that was ice.") and give us a tranquil setting to ponder life's most critical questions ("How many bananas is too many bananas?"  "Is there such thing as PB&J toxicity?").  Finisher medals are replaced with bruised knees, cougar-attacked calves, and skinned palms- all badges of honor that piece together unforgettable adventures with the most dedicated, determined, and passionate group of crazy people that you could ever be so lucky to get lost with.  Happy stumbling...er...running!          -Kristen Strange

Why trails? Good question. I would certainly have an easier time answering “Why not trails?” After all, I don’t fall on pavement. I don’t end up with black toenails, rolled ankles, cuts, bruises or scrapes. On pavement, I can see the finish before I get there, and I’ve never gotten lost while doing a paved run for the tenth time. I can’t say the same about trails. So, why trails? It’s really a question I can’t answer. For me, the attraction can’t be identified, quantified, or qualified. It just is. All I know is this - for every runner who runs a trail and disgustedly announces he’ll never do that again, there are ninety-nine who finish their first trail wondering how they had missed out on that exhilaration for so long and when they can come back. Somewhere in that collective experience lies the answer. You can try to identify it yourself, or you can just trust me… it’s there.          -Frank Evans


Why Trails?  Everyone has that “place” they go to when they just want to escape the world for a moment and just be. To just be in solitude. To just be free. To just exist in the most natural way that a human being can exist. For me, that place is in the woods. You could say that I’m a runner, but to be completely accurate, I am a TRAIL runner. There is no greater peace than when I am out amongst nature. Very little of the hustle and bustle of the world can find me when I lace up my shoes and hit the dirt. Those moments are my escape. It is when I feel the most alive: I am a wild animal who is free from work, free from deadlines, free from bills, free from stress.  Trail running is my passion, stress relief, and exercise all in one. Every trail run brings something new-- new sights, new smells, new obstacles, new experiences. These are the times that I truly feel alive and free. I am a TRAIL runner forever and always.          -Bethany Murray

Why Trails?  Since I laced my first pair of trail shoes (newly purchased at Shoe Carnival and barely meant for trails), I found myself in the folds of one of the most accepting groups of runners that I had ever been a part of.  The run previously focusing on time and pace had changed.  Gone were the need for mileage splits, gone were pretentious runners with elitist mentalities.  Mostly anyway.   Within a group of runners where one guy wore his own version of running sandals (fashioned after reading "Born to Run") and another whom we still swear can run through the ripples of time, there is a shared respect for anyone who steps foot onto the trail.  Races, only called a race for those who move like frolicking deer, are more like family reunions that start with thundering cheers from all the runners.  The end of these races are a celebration of the completion of a challenge.  These people are not strangers if you have met them on the trail, they are simply a new friend you need to get to know.  Just as the scenery is never the same, no run is either.  Seasons and weather conditions create a new template every run.  A road run with friends is great for company, but nothing can bring the same emotion as a trail.  I've slogged through 2 marathons and I hated the decision to run them with every step, but I've bound through 4 50k's with eager anticipation all thanks to the trails.  I would encourage anyone looking for their "inner runner" to take a drive to your local single-track trail and find out just how amazing the path-less-paved can be!         -Drew Beaty

Big Thank You to Molly Derner, Denzil Jennings, Kristen Strange, Frank Evans, 
Bethany Murray & Drew Beaty for your literary contributions!



Below is a list of area trails and corresponding websites.  

This Trail Key can also be found in the Group Files.  
North Side of River
KATY Trail:  237 miles across state, double track, gravel, flat, many access points, many scenic views and connections to other trails

Klondike Park:  ~ 6 miles with KATY trail access, multiple loops, asphalt, packed dirt, overlook

Matson Hill Trail:  2.5-7.4 miles with KATY access if you take the Matson Hill Road up to trail head, main trail loop feeds into secondary loop and out and back option, all trails are packed dirt or rock shelf with minimal roots, elevation change is gradual with clean forest floor and tall old growth trees


Weldon Springs
Lost Valley:  10.5 miles, loop with gravel service road, single track meadow, 2 sections of single track, gravel and packed dirt, connection to Hamburg Trail

Hamburg Trail:  3 miles Point to Point, double track gravel service road, connects the KATY Trail to Lost Valley

Lewis and Clark:  5.3 miles on Clark Trail or 8.2 for both Lewis and Clark loop, single track, gravel, packed dirt, some elevation gain, overlooks


East of Washmo
Shaw Nature Reserve: 14 miles, asphalt, double track gravel, single track, system of 3/4 mile trails and service roads with multiple scenic views and Meramec river access 

Greensfelder:  7.8 mile DeClue Point to Point, 2.6 mile Dogwood Valley Loop, 3.4 mile Eagle Valley Loop (3 main trails), several adjoining trails/service roads, almost entirely single track, switchbacks, elevation climbs, creek crossings, gravel and packed dirt paths

Rockwoods Reservation:  ~ 13 miles (4 small trails and a difficult climb to connecting Greensfelder on the Green Rock Trail), some paved, stairs, bridges, single track, gravel, rock shelf and packed dirt trail

Rockwoods Range: ~ 10 miles (4 trails), all difficult single track trail, gravel, rock, packed dirt, creek access, connectors to Greensfelder and Rockwoods Reservation


Missouri State Park
Al Foster Trail:  5.5 miles, point to point, crushed rock double track with multiple connectors

Zombie Road:  3 miles, point to point, paved or gravel double track

Bluff View:  2.5 miles, point to point, accessed from Al Foster, steady incline to overlook, packed dirt, roots, rocks

Chubb Trail:  6.5 miles, point to point, open spaces, single track and technical challenges

Stinging Nettle Trail:  2.5 miles, point to point, connects Al Foster along the Meramec to Sherman Beach 

Castlewood
Castlewood Loop: 3 miles, entire length in flood plain, river/farmland views
Cedar Bluff Loop: 2.25 miles, highest point in the park
Grotpeter Trail: 3.75 miles, challenging elevation changes 
Lone Wolf Trail: 1.5 miles, bluffs and drop offs next to river
River Scene Trail:  3.25 miles, grand staircase


No comments:

Post a Comment